Unsurprisingly, Tommy Wright named an unchanged starting 11 to face Aberdeen that had beaten Hamilton 2-1 at New Douglas Park last time out.

Aberdeen were without the controversially suspended Michael Devlin meaning Scott McKenna made his return to the Dons side with Chris Forrester replacing the injured Lewis Ferguson.

St Johnstone would take the lead through Irish midfielder David McMillan on 13 minutes. Their former right back Richard Foster’s cross blocked and put behind for a corner which Liam Craig took and found McMillan who had escaped the attention of Shay Logan before nodding past Joe Lewis in the Aberdeen goal. The former Dundalk man grabbing his second in as many games as he nodded Saints in front.

St Johnstone were the better team early on and nearly doubled their lead through Drey Wright playing on the right. He was freed down the flank and as he looked for a teammate in the middle, his cross was met with an unorthodox Andrew Considine header on the deck and turned behind for a corner.

Blair Alston was next to try his luck with a free header after some good work by Tony Watt and then Richard Foster again crossing from a right back position but his effort sailed way wide of the mark, even if McMillan could’ve met it.

The Dons failed to create much but as Matty Kennedy gave the ball away for the hosts, the Dons tried to create an opening. Shay Logan, looking to make amends for that opening goal, tried to feed former Saints hitman Stevie May and after shimmying to create a bit of room for himself, the former Saints Scottish Cup winner shot straight at Zander Clark.

Aberdeen came flying out the blocks in the second half in search of an equaliser. Gary Mackay-Steven opted to take a short corner and found Niall McGinn who returned to GMS and on his left foot sent a thunderous shot on target and the Dons would have drawn level had it not been for a fantastic goal-saving header off the line from young defender Jason Kerr.

Ross Callachan was booked for diving after trying to con the officials in awarding a penalty in order to try and double the home side’s advantage.

GMS again tried from distance with a dipping effort but Clark was equal to it in the Saints goal, despite not being able to hold it such was the power in the shot. Sam Cosgrove off the bench nearly brought them level with a header from close range following another Logan cross but again Zander Clark kept the home side in front.

However, the Saints goalkeeper would be beaten and there is nothing he could do about the effort which did. GMS at the heart of the Aberdeen action was brought down on the edge of the box following Blair Alston’s challenge. Up stepped Niall McGinn to bend the ball up and over the wall before dipping past Clark in a flash as Aberdeen made it all square at 1-1.

Alston could’ve gone on and won the game for Saints after being at fault for the goal. Richard Foster, proving a nuisance for his former employers all afternoon, slid the former Falkirk midfielder through on goal but his drive appeared to bash off Joe Lewis’ face as the home side went in search of a winner.

The away side also went in search of a winner, Mackay-Steven having a late penalty appeal rejected by Willie Collum as Aberdeen continued their decent record at McDiarmid Park. Tommy Wright claiming a draw was a fair result, Derek McInnes implying a draw was no more than his side deserved.

Next up for both these sides, St Johnstone travel to Govan to play Rangers at Ibrox on Sunday, hoping the Gers will suffer a European hangover following their Villarreal fixture on Thursday. Aberdeen host Motherwell at Pittodrie on Saturday afternoon.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.